Saturday 4 June 2011

Salt and vinegar potatoes


Edvin and I have a certain thing for vinegar potato chips. So much that not only the first thing I do immediately after landing in London is to buy a bag of Kettle chips, but also we usually eat one bag a day when we're back in the city. When I stumbled upon that recipe, I immediately knew it would be a great success in our home...

Salt and vinegar potatoes :
Adapted from Martha Steward
Serve 4 as a side. Takes about 45 minutes

2 cups / 475 ml vinegar (any type, I mixed what I had in the kitchen: apple-cider and malt vinegar, it worked fine!)
1/2 kilogram waxy potatoes, cut into 1 cm slices
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt, plus more for seasoning
freshly ground pepper
coarse salt
1. Bring the potatoes and vinegar to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Not too long, you want them to hold their shape, so they don't fall apart on the grill later. Let the potatoes cool in the vinegar for 30 minutes.

2. Drain well, then very gently toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

3. Heat the grill to medium high. Grill potatoes, covered if possible, until golden on one side, then flip and grill the other side - roughly 3 - 5 minutes per side.

That's it!
I have had this recipe for at least a year in my bookmark but never made it because I expected this recipe to take too long to prepare but in fact the only time-consuming thing was cutting the potatoes. The rest went quite fast. Mmm, the strong flavour of vinegar was amazing, almost making me completely forget about Kettle's sea salt and balsamic vinegar chips... until my next trip to London!

No comments:

Post a Comment